Obstetrics and gynecology (OB-GYN) is one of the fields of medicine that deals with the female reproductive system and care for the organs’ health. Should there be any complications relating to these things, the assistance of an OB-GYN should be sought. There is a certain period of training that needs to be completed in order to be able to practice as a gynecologist. However, this varies with different countries. Take for example, in UK they require at least 7 years and in Australia the training period lasts for 6 years. Although all gynecologists are also considered obstetricians, not all obstetricians can be gynecologists. In fact, some doctors choose to drop the obstetric component of their practice. They prefer to focus on gynecology alone.
Subspecialties of OB-GYN
- Maternal – fetal medicine – this subspecialty is often referred to as perinatology. Doctors who specialize in this field handle medical and surgical management of high-risk pregnancies and surgery on the fetus. Their focus here is to decrease the possibility morbidity and mortality.
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility – this subspecialty focus on interventional treatment of infertility. They conduct researches to find out the causes of being impotent or barren.
- Family planning – this subspecialty focuses on contraception and pregnancy termination (abortion). Their goal is to educate people about sex and everything else in between.
More on Dr. Rodolfo Gonzalez and His Practice
Dr. Rodolfo Gonzalez is a licensed gynecologist who lives in Fairfax, VA. He studied at Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia and Facultad De Medicina Alberto Hurtado and finished his residency at Howard University Hospital. He is able to converse in English and Spanish. He specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology and performs procedures such as colposcopy, C-section, hysterectomy-laparoscopic, hysteroscopy, removal of reproductive organs, vaginal delivery and VBAC, incontinence sling procedure, etc. Some of the conditions that he handles include breech position, cervical cancer, ectopic pregnancy, hypertension, cervicitis, mastodynia, osteoporosis, miscarriages, ovarian cysts, sexually transmitted disease and a lot more. He doesn’t have any malpractice experience in his entire career. Furthermore, Dr. Gonzalez did not incur any sanctions or board actions for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
This good doctor has received an honor roll award from Healthgrades. So he is not only certified but also trustworthy. Here are a few tips from Healthgrades on how to pick the right doctor.
- Ask around
- Demand expertise
- Know their degrees: MD & DO
- Look for experience
- Get personal with the doctor
- Examine the hospital
- Listen to other patients
- Consider location and office hours
- Pick your provider before your plan
- Interview your doctor
- Ask yourself
102total visits,1visits today